How it is.
I was not prepared for this. I was not prepared for the feelings I would have, the thoughts that would cross my mind, nor the depth of apathy that could cloud my spirit in a hurting and impoverished country. I, who cries when I see an add about dying children in Africa, who would adopt a hundred if I had the money, or would give my right arm just to hold the hand of a child here who was dying. Wild, what difficult experiences can do to your mind. How does it feel? Like hands and feet are tied, and you just watch. Like begging amputee street children come and touch you and have you nothing to extend to them. When we dreamt of our trip here, of our experience, I assure you this was not in the picture. Sure, some confusion, things moving slowly, insufficient resources, broken hearts, unnecessary death, but these have not been our battles. I was prepared for those. I did not envision this level of frustration, or lack of significance essentially. Amazing how closely tied in your self-worth and work can become. Especially when you travel thousands of miles to one of the world’s poorest countries and hope to in some minute way lend a hand and alleviate the suffering that is the reason you came in the first place. But instead, feel as though you just watch it everyday, passing you by. In that respect, it is even more shameful and discouraging to have been here for one month and have frustration and apathy as your biggest and most lingering sentiments. These sentiments raise a few questions: Have I not tried hard enough? Am I throwing in the towel to soon? Have I lost faith? Why is this becoming all about me? I wish I had the answers. In fact, I spend much of my day pondering these questions. What angle of contribution have we not exhausted in attempting to alleviate anything?
Our days have been spent trying to get by without answers. Strange hu? We know the plight of the people here, we have heard about the war, we have listened to the horrendous fates families have faced, and yet we just are. We met with a priest the other day who is opening an orphanage, and he phrased it perfectly, “it is an African system, you understand, it does not make sense, but it just is.”
Everyday, we have beautiful views. We can see the Congo, as far as the eye can see. And there too, tragically, conflict and violence destroys the lives of many. Africa is an extreme place. No in the middle. Sadness is stronger here, hope is brighter, and apathy, is well more apathetic. The response from the people here on the streets often is tragic. You can read their stories in their eyes. Smiles are often returned with glares. Amputees everywhere, missing eyes, begging children, fancy Land Rover’s, mansions, you know, just the everyday occurrence of extremes co-existing.
I want to do more. We keep waiting. We fight our every desire to be productive. We have one foot on the plane back home, and another desperately trying to find reasons to stay. Such a bad feeling. We have thrown the idea around of not being able. That is not it. I know we have things to contribute, but how is the question? Kenton and I have become every-other-day cheerleaders for one another.
When I think of why we came, why we left our families, our jobs, our studies, it was all for a purpose. A goal of alleviating, a goal of improving, an objective of bringing hope in hopelessness. I still think this potential is here. And I hope one day, we look back on these days, these incredibly idle days and know that they were so worth it, that our momentary trials were for the greater good. That merging our lives together in the heart of Africa, facing the every day trials of uncertainty, discomfort, and frustration, were the glue that made us stronger.
For now, we will keep doing what we are doing. Hoping, praying, and waiting. Smiling, when a smile is needed, holding a hand, reading, and merely learning to exist in a world that has a new set of rules. Hopefully, we will contribute one small thing, to someone, at some point, and it will be something that can be passed on in a sustainable way.
Rachele
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What you may not see right now is how the Lord is using this time. Your times are in His hands and He is creating something wonderful. We are all standing still with you as you wait upon Him for specific direction. It may or may not come the way you want. But it will come. By the way, your gift with words and how you communicate are a special God-given gift. You must use it, develop it and allow it to motivate others with a passion for the world. You guys are totally awesome and we are rejoicing to see how these precious weeks are being used by the Potter's Hand. Keep up the good work and keep looking UP!
Love, dad
remember:
you are known. you are loved.
be patient.
i love you.
an email is coming soon. i promise.
Rachele,
Now I know where you found your gift for writing. Your Dad's eloquent insight says it all. I remember hearing advice very similar to his(from Kathy) at the saddest time of my life. It's true! For God, the shortest distance between two points isn't always a straight line, and He doesn't always let you use MapQuest. You can't change other people and things, but you can change how you react to them. Hang in there, be strong and know that we are all sending you our long-distance hugs and high-fives from here. What you've been trying to accomplish in one short month is more than many people can say they've done and sacrificed for in a lifetime. We're so humbled and proud of you both for that. Please don't feel defeated, because you never know what ripple effects have begun because of your caring presence.
Love, Aunt Zan and my Jersey Boys xoxo
Sometimes all you can do is witness these tragedies. Tragedies so deep and dark that most avert their eyes and hearts. As you said: Africa is. The rules are different. Actions occur on a different timeline than what others may be accustomed to. Goals and objectives … these are rational constructs in an irrational world.
Africa is the soul of our planet earth. I think it always has been. You are there inside this soul and you are doing what you can--even if it is to bring back your stories and to internalize a radically different way of understanding a world that can be so harsh. So arbitrary.
Are you going to change the sum total of suffering by your presence and your actions? Yes.
It takes courage to absorb the pain you see all around you. And taking it in may be a bigger contribution than you think.
From a practical view, “taking it in” may not seem to be enough. The problems you see have roots so deep that solutions will take years, decades. It’s not your task to solve these dilemmas. You have given yourselves over to try to help. Sometimes the system, or lack thereof, will get in the way. You give what you can, there, in Burundi, and give a little more in another phase of your lives. You’ve got time, and love, and heart.
babs nh usa
Rachele,
I have been following your journey since you arrived in Africa, and everyday I look forward to checking to see what is new and going on for you guys there. I have been reading and praying that you will be encouraged daily by something no matter how big or small or even a word or two said in passing between the two of you.
I am so impressed by your attitudes, I can only imagine how hard it must be, yet you still see the beauty and find the positive in everything you are doing. Your Dad's words are so true and I believe he is right.
I have felt your pain on trips I have taken, and I know its not easy. I traveled to Indonesia the year after the Tsunami and while i was there all I saw was sadness and destruction, and I felt like there was nothing I could do to help. But I kept doing what I was called and asked to do, and found out months later that the people we interacted with were impacted greatly by our presence and felt so touched that we would want to come and help them, and talk with them and truly cared. I never saw this while I was there, but knowing this later helped work through it.
I dont know if that helps but if you can remember that just being there and doing things no matter how small you might be impacting someone more than you will know and maybe more than they know at this point.
Keep looking up because HE will look down upon you with his love.
you are both in my thoughts and prayers. love you much xoxoxoxo sueb
Post a Comment