Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Crazy Tuesday



Another busy day…

What a day! In many ways it was a repeat in the intensity and newness of yesterday. I love what Kenton wrote about his experience being the doctor here. It was impressive to watch him in action, and even more impressive to watch his compassion and care towards everyone with whom he interacts. We are now back full-time at the clinic and are working to figure out our new job titles. It is exciting, overwhelming and all over the place.

Today was by far our busiest clinic day ever. There must have been over sixty, many of them very sick needing admission to the hospital. People were running left and right to try and tend to all of the needs. In the meantime Kenton and I are trying to figure out the language piece, teach, build programs, tend to patients, and assist with delivering babies. All in a day right?!?

We have officially delivered our first baby together in Africa, and luckily there was the head physician here to help as it became a tad complicated. Sometimes we have been discussing how the skills of the nurses is not very developed, however, they are far more advanced in procedures, and less so in the basics. That has struck me as ironic. For the most part they all struggle with getting proper vital signs or charting simple things, to even giving medications appropriately; then a women having a complicated delivery comes in and they are doing episiotomies, suturing, starting IV’s in a flash, suctioning, doing vaginal exams and being spot on with there findings… so bizarre. In many ways I realize that I have so much to learn from them. They are quick responders with very practical skills. I hope to gain a lot of this from them. Then two minutes later they will miss that a child is in respiratory distress, or that a blood pressure of 240/150 might be of some concern, or that taking vital signs on a patient who just had a massive stroke is useful, and necessary might I add! I can’t figure it out. But then again, I have another four months here, and I am bound and determine to improve some of the very basics that will hopefully created better quality of care.

It has felt in the past two days that we have made some kind of break through. Whether it be that we were here long enough to win some respect, or if we are just understanding the situation better and our roles, I’m not sure, but I am grateful for these little glimpses of encouragement and improvement and hope.

5 comments:

Plynn said...

It's great to hear from you two. Your work feels overwhelming but its wonderful the way your talents are being used. I find that when things don't seem to be going the way I think they "should" be I just need slow down, step back and see what I'm missing, what I am supposed to be learning. You are clearly both learning really quickly...You have a lot of people holding you in their hearts right now. Love, Lynn

Unknown said...

Another very moving blog entry!! Your days are so packed...I think of you often during my own workday. I love you both. Mum/Kath

phairhead said...

love yr muscle man photo rae!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing you two are to your African community! Though your mission may have started slowly, it sounds as if it's in high gear now....and then some! I'm sure both of you are healing, not only bodies, but also hearts. My love to you both! Zan xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you're able to dive completely into the work now! And its wonderfull to read about. How are you both feeling these days? I know a while ago you were really struggling with the malaria and the medication. But you sound like you must be doing better--I do hope so!
It sounds exciting and heart-wrenching and wonderful and hard all jumbled together and then more! I think about you guys often. Hope to hear more soon.
Claire